Just a quick one this week 🙂
From my previous blog post on snacks I mentioned that I normally have banana slice to fulfill my sugar craving. I was getting a bit bored of it so found this recipe for chia bites. They are so tasty – enjoy 😉
Chia seeds are very low in calories but hold a huge amount of nutrients within them. They come from South America and actually the word ‘chia’ means strength, so perfect for a strong body.
1 ounce or 28g of these tiny seeds contains the following nutrition:
- 11g Fiber
- 4g Protein
- 9g Fat
- 18% RDA Calcium
- 30% RDA Manganese
- 27% RDA Phosphorus
- 137 calories in total
Almost all the carbohydrates in the chia seeds are fiber and due to their high protein content are perfect for weight loss. They also have the ability to make you feel fuller for longer. This is due to the fiber that swells in your belly giving you this full feeling.
In my opinion chia seeds don’t actually taste of anything so therefore they are very easy to incorporate into your diet. You can add them into baking, soups, salads smoothies, you name it!
These tiny seeds contain loads of antioxidants that maximize health and are high in Omega-3 fatty acids.
A lot of goodness for a tiny seed!
- 1 cup or 340g of oats
- 1/4 cup or 85g of cacao powder
- 1/2 cup or 170g chia seeds
- 1/4 cup or 85g coconut flakes (unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup or 170g almond butter
- Mix oats, cacao powder, chia seeds, coconut flakes, honey, vanilla essence and cinnamon in a bowl
- Heat the almond butter until soft and add to the mixture
- Roll the mixture into balls (add more honey if not sticking)
- Place on a tray with grease proof paper and put in the fridge for 10 minutes
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container